Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Art of Selling Toilet Paper

Who would have thought that I would be a professional toilet paper salesman? Never in a million years would I have guessed that I would grow up and be selling a necessary commodity that is pretty much recession proof. Indeed it is not a flashy career however it is quite a lucrative one depending how hard you are willing to work (as is any career). Of course toilet tissue is no the only commodity we sell! Aftyer someone uses TP they will need soap for the soil on their hands and paper towels to dry their hands afterwards, perhaps some sanitizer just for good measure. Toilet paper is what it is and by no means do customers care what kind of ply it may be. All they are concerned with is th cost, so what we do is make a small profit margin on the product by selling low and with the other commodities such as soap and paper towels try and sell ata margin of 30% or higher. Soap and paper towels areas where customers are willing to pay more for the cost effective solutions. Such as automatic dispensing units to curb over consumption and waste. Here is where a premium quality system is desired to show savings over a long term investment. So ineveitably selling toilet paper is not so glamorous however it is a business that thrives during tough economic times and takes good skill in the art of selling...as any product would.

2 comments:

  1. Its funny you talk about this but in the same token I work for a power utility and so many times I am arguing with employees about janitorial supplies like paper towels and yes toilet paper. I had to call several vendors out to price quote paper towels and to bring sample because for some reason the paper towels we had smelled funny to many employees. Hard to believe that when we need to worry about power the employees are more worried about strong, soft toliet paper and non smelly paper towels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I beg to differ with you. I think that companies who buy toilet paper for the customers they serve may not care what ply they buy, but if they asked their customers, I am sure they would get a better quality of paper.

    ReplyDelete