There's something about hip hop that I just love. I'm not talking about todays "hip-pop." Todays stuff is weak compared to what it used to be. I like the old school sound of Kurtis Blow, Grandmaster Flash, Afrikka Bambattaa, and Fab Five Freddie. This is when hip hop began to solidify itself as a genre and culture. The lyrics were fun and frivolous yet gave a voice to the inner city. It was an escape of daily pressures through powerful emotion recollected in tranquility. The beats and sounds weren't just toe tappers , they made you want to get up and move! Motion created the emotion and the music got into your soul, you felt what the emcee was saying. This is a time when pictures were painted with words while the drum line and record scratching kept the flow of the energy. This is when hip hop had a voice! Now all you see is an image of glitz and glamour, no soul and no flavor. Sure there is talent and good songs but Hip Hop as a genre is dead! If you ever want to check out track with hip hop at its finest click on the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w8-lXBtJlk
you know when I first read this I thought: oh no way! It is absolutely the worst music ever. However, I just heard some Metallica (20 years old) and to me its not music either, I like jazz, country, but I love to crank up a good old rock song. I wonder how much of our love of music is that generation differences. When I was a kid I loved Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, CCR and Grateful Dead and still love 60's rock and to my dad that was the worst music ever!
ReplyDelete